Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Some Recent Verses


Last night, after too long of an absence, I returned to an Inspired Word open mic. My contribution to a great evening of talent was a pair of poems, the second of which was "Anticipation." This piece, making its performance debut that evening, is one of my most recent compositions. 

Enjoy.





Anticipation

A glass filling gradually
Is how I demonstrate discretion
Before gulping,
Giddy for some tickling sensation.
But, no need to worry,
I’m alright,
Let’s have another. Slower. More preamble.
Swing that shaker one more time.
Again.
I’m patient,
I have nowhere else to be tonight,
Just here, with you, so pour another.
And another.
Steady hand, careful now,
I glimpse stray drops,
Overflowing, trickling down your bare arm–
Tempt not, waste not,
My fingers gently brush your skin,
A tease for
That perfect moment (perfect excuses).
Another round,
My lips denied their true desire:
Are we on to the good stuff yet? 

Photo by Creighton Blinn



 

No comments:

Post a Comment